Thursday 19 January 2012

We've all got them, but what can you do with yours??

We all have them.  Items acquired over time that we've bought but never used, nor returned.  Gifts kindly given to us by friends or family that we may not of been particularly fond of or had no use for in the first place.  Before boxing up such items in the basement or selling them in your next garage sale, consider if any of these items in your possession could be upcycled or re-purposed. 

Repurposing -The use of something for a purpose other than its original intended use.

I initially purchased these hooks from Ikea to place in my front hall at a level my kids would be able to hang their own coats on.  In the end I decided against the idea but instead of returning them I placed them in an obsolete drawer never to be seen again.

IKEA COAT HOOKS

A little while later I thought it would be useful if the 'tea station' area in my kitchen had a place where I could hang mugs.  This way the mugs would be easily within reach when needed as well as be decorative on the wall and fill up some negative space.  It was then that I remembered about my IKEA hooks and thought they would be perfect for what I had in mind.





My husband can always find a mug for his morning cuppa!

My next re-purposed item was found when I was backpacking across Europe many moons ago.  If you've ever been to Munich in Germany chances are you visited the Hofbrauhaus. It is a brewery that allows you to enjoy traditional German beer in a great party atmosphere.  When you've finished with your beer you are allowed to keep the large glass stein as a souvenir. 

Tourists flock to this old German brewery. As a backpacker in my twenties, it was awesome!
My stein sat empty on my dresser for a while until I wrapped it up and tucked it away  in the back of my closet for eternity.  Fifteen years later I had this ingenious idea of where I could re-purpose and enjoy my glass stein mug daily...

Perfect utensil holder in the kitchen and quite the conversation piece as well. 

Here's another re-purposed item I use in the bathroom to hold our toothbrushes.

Glass mason jars have many different uses and can be bought second hand for a great price

The latest item that I have repurposed is my pine vanity.  It didn't allow much room for clothes so I moved it to the kitchen where it is much more functional.   

This is so much more functional as a desk and charging station in my kitchen then it ever was as a vanity.

The children do their homework or play games here while I am close by to help them & see what they are up to. Chris checks his footy scores when he comes home from work and I touch base on my e-mail throughout the day.   Although I have considered painting this piece of furniture, it works well with my decor in the natural pine finish so if it ain't broke, don't fix it! (I will however re-upholster the stool in the near future)

When you find yourself on your next organising frenzy and clearing out old boxes hidden away in the garage or up in the attic, think outside the box to see if any of the items can be re-worked into your homes' decor.  If you've already got something that you have repurposed don't keep your ingenious idea to yourself, I would love to hear about it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment